Saturday 23 April 2016

SPECIAL POST: SANT JORDI (ST. GEORGE)


Feliç diada de Sant Jordi! Happy St. George Day! Today, 23rd of April is Saint George, the patron of Catalonia, that means that it is the most romantic day of the year.

In Catalonia, we have a very peculiar way of celebrating this day. The tradition says that men give their sweetheart a red rose, and the ladies give the men a book.  Moreover, the streets of all over Catalonia towns are packed with bookstalls and book markets on Sant Jordi’s day. It is almost impossible to have a relaxing walk, the main streets have crowed of people buying roses and books. However, it is one of my favourite holidays.
Barcelona's streets on St. George Day (I)
Barcelona's streets on St. George Day (II)
In addition to this tradition, children learned in the school the fantastic and knightly legend of St. George. The legend of St. George and the Dragon is truly a wonderful fairytale of knights in shining armour on white horses, dragons and beautiful princesses in the best traditions of chivalry, honour, romance, heroism, swordplay and love. This is the Catalan version of the St George legend:
Saint Jordi’s Legend:
"Once upon a time, a terrible dragon terrorised the inhabitants of a small village in Catalonia called Montblanc. The dragon wreaked havoc among the population and devoured the animals put out to pasture until there were none left. To calm the dragon's anger, the inhabitants of the village decided to sacrifice one person every day, chosen by drawing lots, and to offer that person to the dragon as a sign of their good will. "However, one, dark day, the person chosen to be sacrificed was the king's daughter. Just when she was about to be swallowed up by the dragon, a courageous knight appeared and confronted the evil beast. This was Saint George (Sant Jordi in Catalan). He thrust his lance into the dragon and, out of the blood that spurted forth, there grew a red rose bush. Since then, it has been the custom in Catalonia to present a rose to your loved one.
St George's Legend
Hope you enjoy Saint George Day if you are in Catalonia, if not don’t hesitate to go the next year!

And don’t forget to give a red rose!

Feliç diada de Sant Jordi!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent post!!👌👌😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post!!👌👌😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm his cousin and my name is Jordi, so today is my saint and like my cousin loves me a lot for this reason my cousin made this for me :) Very excellent job Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On del món fan alguna cosa semblant? CATALUNYA TÉ MOLT QUE DIR

    ReplyDelete
  5. On del món fan alguna cosa semblant? CATALUNYA TÉ MOLT QUE DIR

    ReplyDelete
  6. La diada de Sant Jordi, amb la rosa i el llibre, els castells, la sardana, el pa amb tomàquet, i tantes coses més... Imprescindible una visita en les teves vacances

    ReplyDelete
  7. La diada de Sant Jordi, amb la rosa i el llibre, els castells, la sardana, el pa amb tomàquet, i tantes coses més... Imprescindible una visita en les teves vacances

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Author

Hi! My name is Julia, I am from Catalonia (Spain) and I am an Erasmus student in the University of the West of Scotland. I’m studying a bachelor in Business and my purpose is to show you the beauties of my region. Once a week I will publish a post from a location in Catalonia. I would like to show you all the most beautiful and exclusive locations featuring my land.