Saturday 12 March 2016

MONTSERRAT


Good afternoon guys! Are you enjoying your weekend? Today I’m going to talk about Montserrat, one of the symbols of Catalonia. Montserrat is situated 50 kilometres from Barcelona; you can easily arrive by public transport or by car. Montserrat is known for being a spiritual spot but also for having one of the most stunning landscapes of Catalonia.


Up the mountain, there is a basilica where the Black Virgin of Montserrat is. The Black Virgin of Montserrat is a patron of Catalonia, and people all over the world come to worship here and see this miracle-working sculpture.  According to legend, it was discovered by the shepherds of the region in the 9th century; they suddenly noticed a bright shining light which indicated them the place of the Santa Cova (Holy Cave of Montserrat), where the statue was hidden. When the shepherds wanted to move the Black Virgin to the nearby village of Manresa, it became so heavy that they considered it as a sign to leave the statue on the mountain.
It has a mystic healing power and protects people from the negative energy. It is situated in the Basilica of Montserrat, and can be visited for free.

The Black Virgin of Montserrat
If you visit the Basilica I recommend you to listen the Escolania de Montserrat; a boys’ choir. Here I attached a link of one of the most famous songs that the choir sing.  



  • Escolania de Montserrat (boy's choir)

  • Apart from being a place of a spiritual spot, Montserrat is also known for its numerous hiking routes and underground caves. If you are nature lover don’t hesitate to visit Montserrat and its hiking routes.

    Montserrat's Views



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts

    Total Pageviews

    Author

    Hi! My name is Julia, I am from Catalonia (Spain) and I am an Erasmus student in the University of the West of Scotland. I’m studying a bachelor in Business and my purpose is to show you the beauties of my region. Once a week I will publish a post from a location in Catalonia. I would like to show you all the most beautiful and exclusive locations featuring my land.